A collection of manuals and troubleshooting documents for the Espar heaters that are installed in the Sprinter. There are two separate heaters installed from the factory:
- An Espar Airtronic D4S that provides coach heat. It’s installed in a metal box underneath the van, on the driver’s side. You’ll recognize it by the exhaust coming out of the box. This is an extra heater, installed as part of the Westfalia conversion.
- An Espar Hydronic D5 that provides coolant heating and ‘booster’ heat. It’s also referred to as the ‘auxiliary water heater’ in the owner’s manual. Engine coolant is circulated through this heater when it is activated, speeding up engine warming and providing hot cabin heat more quickly.
- From boatelectric.com: espar_troubleshooting (PDF, 7 pages, 623KB)
- From esparofmichigan.com: airtronic_hydronic_troubleshooting (PDF, 4 pages, 150KB)
- Airtronic_D2-D4_Installation, Troubleshooting & Parts Manual (PDF, 35 pages, 795KB)
- Hydronic information sheet (PDF, 9 pages, 266KB)
More information can be found in this (still rather confusing) post on sprinter-source.com: http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80447&postcount=62
The owner’s manual also provides information on operating the booster/auxiliary water heater.